How to get a NY Marriage License Apostille
MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE APOSTILLE
NYC MARRIAGE CERTIFICATES
How do I get my Marriage Certificate Apostille?
Depending on your requirements, you can get the Short form or the Extended (Long) form Marriage Certificate. Whatever one you choose it must have an Original Hand Signature and the Certification Stamp of the City Clerk on the back of your marriage certificate in order for your Marriage Certificate to be Apostille. The Extended form has additional information on it (i.e. info about the groom & bride parents, the father name, mother name, their occupation, the ministers name, church, witnesses, previously marriages, etc) this information is not on the short form.
On the back of a Marriage Certificate you should find an Original Hand Signature and the Certification Stamp of the City Clerk. This is the first step for getting an Apostille for your Marriage Registration or certificate.
Please note the above requirement for the signature is not a hard rule, you still can get you marriage record apostille or legalized without it. Just contact us & we can do all the work required to get your document legalized without the signature using the Official NYS procedure.
NYC Marriage Certificate Retrieval Service
If you want Notary & Apostille Service to get your Short or Extended Form Marriage Certificate then you need to submit the following documents to Notary & Apostille Service:
- Order Form. The Order Form can be found on the "Getting Started" page
- A Notarized Authorization Letter * (PDF) authorizing Alan Murray to receive your Marriage record. *
- The Draft copy of the APPLICATION FOR A MARRIAGE RECORD or a copy of your marriage certificate that you want to get Apostille.
If you already have your NYC Marriage Certificate
- Once you have your Marriage Certificate make sure it has an Original Hand Signature and the Certification Stamp of the City Clerk on the back. Then send it to Notary & Apostille Service along with your Order Form. The Order Form can be found on the "Getting Started" page.
- Notary & Apostille Service will get your Apostille processed when it is received and have your Apostille back according to the "Level of Service" you requested which can be the Same Day, 2nd Business Day, 3rd Business Day.
- If your marriage Certificate does not have the an Original Hand Signature and the stamp of the City Clerk on the back, you have a few options.
What can I do if my Marriage Certificate does not have an Original Hand Signature and the stamp of the City Clerk on the back?
- You can allow Notary & Apostille Service to get it for you, by following the procedure above or you can order it yourself online, from VitalChek.com then send it to Notary & Apostille Service.
- Or, I can place a special cover letter on the marriage certificate. This is necessary in order for Notary & Apostille Service to get an Apostille. Using this last procedure may or may not be acceptable to the party who is receiving your marriage certificate.
- Just send it to Notary & Apostille Service we can still get the job done without the signature on the back. It will take a little extra work but have been providing this service all over New York for many years and know how the city agencies works.
A valid Identification (ID) is one with your photograph & signature. ID must be issued by an officially recognized organization or agency and includes the following types of ID: Driver's License, Employment ID, Government ID, Social Services ID, and a Passport. ID must show an expiration date that has not passed. ID without an expiration date must have been issued within the past 12 months.
* Please make sure the Signature on the notarized letter matches the signature on photo ID. The marriage License bureau may not honor any request if there is a question about the signatures not matching.
* If you are outside of the USA make sure you get your document notarize at the USA Embassy otherwise you will need to get an Apostille on your letter so it will be acceptable for me to use it in the USA.
Note: I have been told getting your documents notarize at the USA Embassy is no longer a requirement, you could use any notary outside the country and NO Apostille is needed.
In addition to the Apostille fee, there is an additional fee to get a Certified Extended form Marriage Record for foreign use, (Extended Certificate for Foreign Use), which is list in my on the Fee Page.
The City of New York
Office of the City Clerk
Marriage License Bureau
141 Worth Street
New York, NY 10007
NEW YORK STATE MARRIAGE RECORDS NOT ISSUED IN NYC
All marriage records issued outside of the five counties of NYC can be obtained from the
New York State Department of Health
Vital Records Section
PO Box 2602
Albany, NY 12220
Or this documents may also be obtained directly from the local registrar or town clerk of the city, town or village where the marriage occurred.
Getting your Marriage Certificate Apostille
- Obtain a certified copy of the certificate with an Original Hand Signature and stamp of the Clerk on the back of the document or the signature of Director of Vital Records, or by a Local Registrar if the marriage was registered outside New York City.
- Once you have your certified document send it to Notary & Apostille Service with an Order Form. The Order Form can be found on the " Getting Started" page.
- Click here to see my mailing address
- Notary & Apostille Service will process your Apostille according to the "Level of Service" you requested which can be the Same Day, 2nd Business Day, 3 rd Business Day
- Please inform Notary & Apostille Service when your document has been shipped.
PLEASE NOTE: NOTARIZED DOCUMENTS ACCEPTABLE FOR APOSTILLE ARE DOCUMENTS NOTARIZED BY A NYS NOTARY PUBLIC WHICH MUST CONTAIN THE JURAT IN ORDER TO BE ACCEPTABLE FOR AN APOSTILLE.
New York counties served: Albany, Allegany, Bronx, Broome, Cattaraugus, Cayuga, Chautauqua, Chemung, Chenango, Clinton, Columbia, Cortland, Delaware, Dutchess, Erie, Essex, Franklin, Fulton, Genesee, Greene, Hamilton, Herkimer, Jefferson, Kings (Brooklyn), Lewis, Livingston, Madison, Monroe, Montgomery, Nassau, New York City, New York (Manhattan), Niagara, Oneida, Onondaga, Ontario, Orange, Orleans, Oswego, Otsego, Putnam, Queens, Rensselaer, Richmond (Staten Island), Rockland, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Schuyler, Seneca, Steuben, St. Lawrence, Suffolk, Sullivan, Tioga, Tompkins, Ulster, Warren, Washington, Wayne, Westchester, Wyoming, Yates
DISCLAIMER: We will make every attempt to get your document Apostille or Legalized. However, if the document does not meet official requirements, we will give you the option of correcting the problem and resubmitting your document again. An additional service charge, document processing and/or mailing fees may apply.
Top | Back